What is NACLO?
The North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad is a contest in which high-school students solve linguistic puzzles. In solving these puzzles, students learn about the diversity and consistency of language, while exercising logic skills. No prior knowledge of linguistics or second languages is necessary. Professionals in linguistics, computational linguistics and language technologies use dozens of languages to create engaging problems that represent cutting edge issues in their fields. The competition has attracted top students to study and work in those same fields. It is truly an opportunity for young people to experience a taste of natural-language processing in the 21st century.
- Friday, April 11, 2017Press Release about
the 2017 Invitational Round.
- April 3, 2017The problems from the
two rounds of the 2017 contest have been posted here.
- April 2, 2017The unofficial results from the
Invitational Round are here.
- February 28, 2017The results from the
Open Round have been posted. You can see your scores by logging in at
the bottom of this page. The list of US students who qualified for the
second round so far is listed here. A total
of 171 students have qualified (including 156 from the USA and 15 from Canada).
- January 29, 2017 Student
registration for 2018 will
start in September 2017. Student registrations are not carried over from
one year to the next. Site registrations (high school and university
sites) are automatically copied from one year to the next.
- Article about NACLO by Margarita Misirpashaeva
- July 18, 2016The NACLO 2017 Student Handbook
- July 18, 2016The NACLO 2017 Coordinator Handbook
- July 18, 2016The NACLO 2017 Appendix
- June 7, 2016The 2017 contest will be on January 26 (Open Round) and March 9
- Thursday, March 31, 2016The problem sets for this year's Open and Invitational
rounds are now available here.
- Thursday, March 31, 2016Grading for the Invitational Round is over. The results are
- Sunday, February 21, 2016The anonymized list of students who qualified for the
second round is here.
- Saturday, February 20, 2016The results from the Open Round have been
announced. Students can log on to their accounts and see their
scores. The cutoff for qualification is 44 points. A total of 174
students have qualified. The Invitational Round is on March 10. Please contact your site
hosts for details.
- August 3, 2016Press Release
Performance of the NACLO teams at the IOL in Mysore.
- July 18, 2016Press Release Three
Teams from USA and Canada to Compete in the 14th International
Linguistics Olympiad in Mysore, India.
- Friday, April 8, 2016Press Release about the 2016 Invitational Round.
You can help support NACLO either by mailing a check or giving online. For more information on both, please see our donations page. We thank you for your support!
We're looking for new sites and problem contributors. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register for the next competition
Challenge yourself online with practice problems
All you need to know about NACLO in one place
Suggested reading, links, etc.